• Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Daily The Business
  • Privacy Policy
Social icon element need JNews Essential plugin to be activated.
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Daily The Business
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
DTB
No Result
View All Result
DTB

Israel moves into north Gaza Hamas stronghold, pounds Rafah without advancing

May 18, 2024
in World
Israel moves into north Gaza Hamas stronghold, pounds Rafah without advancing

CAIRO/OCCUPIED JERUSALEM: Israel’s tanks pushed into the heart of Jabalia in northern Gaza on Thursday, facing anti-tank rockets and mortar bombs from fighters concentrated there, while in the south, its forces pounded Rafah without advancing, Palestinian residents said.

The slow progress of Israel’s offensive, more than seven months after it was prompted by Hamas’ deadly cross-border raid, highlighted the difficulty of achieving Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s aim of eradicating the Hamas group.

Armed wings of Hamas and its ally Islamic Jihad have been able to fight up and down the Gaza Strip, using heavily fortified tunnels to stage attacks in both the north – the focus of Israel’s initial invasion – and new battlegrounds like Rafah.

Aid trucks begin moving ashore via Gaza pier, US says

“We are wearing Hamas down,” Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said, announcing that more troops would be deployed in Rafah, where he said several tunnels had been destroyed.

Senior Hamas official Sami Abu Zuhri responded that the group would defend its people “by all means”.

Israel says four Hamas battalions are now in Rafah along with hostages abducted during the Oct. 7 assault, but it faces international pressure not to invade the city, where hundreds of thousands of displaced Palestinian civilians are sheltering.

South Africa asked the top U.N. court to order a halt to Israel’s Rafah offensive, saying it was “part of the endgame in which Gaza is utterly destroyed”.

Israel has denied South African allegations of genocide in Gaza and said it had complied with an earlier court order to step up aid.

The Gaza death toll has risen to 35,272, health officials in the Hamas-run coastal enclave said, and malnutrition is widespread with international aid efforts blocked by the violence and Israel’s de-facto shutdowns of its Kerem Shalom crossing and the Rafah border crossing with Egypt.

Smoke rises from an explosion following an Israeli airstrike in northern Gaza, near the Israel-Gaza border, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas, as seen from Israel. Photo: Reuters

Israel says Hamas is diverting aid and it needs to eliminate the organisation for its own protection after the deaths of 1,200 people on Oct. 7, and to free the 128 hostages still held out of 253 abducted by the Hamas, according to its tallies.

Tags: EgyptGazaGaza StripIsraelIsrael and EgyptIsrael if Prime Minister Benjamin NetanyahuIsrael’s Defence Minister Yoav GallantIsraeli armyIsraeli assaultIsraeli forcesIsraeli tanksMENARafahRafah assaultRafah invasion
Previous Post

North Korea test-fires suspected missiles a day after US and South Korea conduct a fighter jet drill

Next Post

Pakistan’s T20 World Cup 2024 Squad Finalised

American Dollar Exchange Rate
Write us: info@dailythebusiness.com

© 2021 Daily The Business

Social icon element need JNews Essential plugin to be activated.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result

© 2021 Daily The Business

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Hacklink Satın Al