• Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Daily The Business
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, February 20, 2026
Daily The Business
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
DTB
No Result
View All Result
DTB

Govt to honour net-metering requests filed before Feb 8 under old rules

February 20, 2026
in Pakistan
Govt to honour net-metering requests filed before Feb 8 under old rules
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsapp

ISLAMABAD: To salvage government credibility, Power Minister Awais Leghari on Thursday decided to honour all applicants of net-metering solar connections till the change of regulations on Feb 8 and directed electricity distribution companies (Discos), including K-Electric, for its implementation.

At a meeting of the Power Division’s attached entities, the minister was informed that 5,165 consumers had applied for net-metered connections by the cut-off date of Feb 8 — the day the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) notified the Prosumers Regulations 2026, replacing the net-metering framework with net billing and negatively affecting rooftop solar economics for households and industry.

All these applications entailed a net-metering capacity addition of about 250.8 megawatts.

“All net metering applications received by Feb 8 be processed under the previous regulations and facilitated by all electricity distribution companies, including K-Electric, under the net metering framework,” the power minister said.

He also issued instructions for immediate implementation to all power distribution companies. “As of Feb 8, a total of 5,165 applications had been submitted across all distribution companies, including K-Electric. The­se applications will collectively add 250.822MW of capacity to the national grid,” an official statement said.

Sources said some of the minister’s close aides opposed the move, arguing it would add to the roughly 6,900MW already installed under net-metering and could encourage litigation by future applicants against the new regulations.

However, the minister contended that net capacity addition in this category was only 250MW, but even if it was 1,500MW equivalent of applications, the government was legally and morally bound to honour its own regulations and commitments.

He was of the view that, within a legal framework, these applicants had accrued rights which could not be denied. However, once the new regulations are notified and in place, citizens will be free to make fresh investments.

The sources said all the Discos and K-Electric were required during the meeting to re-verify their prosumer applications received before Feb 8 and sign respective documents to avoid any exclusions or inclusions on political, financial or other influences.

“The decision by the federal power minister has removed uncertainties surrounding the pending applications,” the Power Division said, adding that the minister directed that transparency be maintained in the processing of all requests. Consumers have also been advised to register any complaints on the issue by calling the helpline at 118.

Earlier, Nepra published draft regulations for public comments on Dec 12, 2025, which prompted the power companies to stop entertaining applications under the previous regulations in place since 2015. The proposal attracted public backlash over both the proposed changes and the retrospective curtailment of benefits

Following widespread criticism, including from parliamentary bodies, the prime minister intervened and restored contractual benefits for existing licensees. How­ever, criticism persisted over the treatment of applications submitted during the period between the draft’s issuance and the formal notification of the new regulations, which took effect from Feb 9.

During public hearings at Nepra, several interveners had also registered their complaints that, despite the regulator seeking only feedback, distribution companies had already stopped accepting new solar applications and were discouraging online registrations through various means.

Nepra Chairman Was­eem Mukhtar and Member (Development) Maqsood Anwar declared such unilateral actions illegal and assured participants they would not be allowed to continue. They said the Power Division should have acted in line with assurances previously given by the power minister, and that the regulator would ensure a reversal of the measures and take strict action against those responsible.

Published in media, February 20th, 2026

Tags: FebFiledGovtHonournetmeteringRequestsrules
Share15Tweet10Send
Previous Post

Indian shares set for muted start, sentiment subdued on US-Iran tensions

Next Post

South Korea shares at record high, set to log second weekly gain

Related Posts

Incarcerated PTI leaders call for halt of protest activities during Ramazan
Pakistan

Incarcerated PTI leaders call for halt of protest activities during Ramazan

February 20, 2026
Shoaib Maqsood Wants Babar Azam as Opener for Pakistan Team
Pakistan

Shoaib Maqsood Wants Babar Azam as Opener for Pakistan Team

February 20, 2026
Punjab Govt Reportedly Buys Luxury Jet Worth Around Rs 10 Billion for CM Punjab
Pakistan

Punjab Govt Reportedly Buys Luxury Jet Worth Around Rs 10 Billion for CM Punjab

February 20, 2026
4 terrorists killed in intelligence-based operation in KP’s Lakki Marwat: ISPR
Pakistan

4 terrorists killed in intelligence-based operation in KP’s Lakki Marwat: ISPR

February 19, 2026
Pakistan, US sign pact to redevelop New York’s Roosevelt Hotel
Pakistan

Pakistan, US sign pact to redevelop New York’s Roosevelt Hotel

February 19, 2026
HEC makes AI course mandatory for all degree programmes from 2026
Pakistan

HEC makes AI course mandatory for all degree programmes from 2026

February 20, 2026

Popular Post

  • FRSHAR Mail

    FRSHAR Mail set to redefine secure communication, data privacy

    127 shares
    Share 51 Tweet 32
  • How to avoid buyer’s remorse when raising venture capital

    33 shares
    Share 337 Tweet 211
  • Microsoft to pay off cloud industry group to end EU antitrust complaint

    55 shares
    Share 22 Tweet 14
  • Capacity utilisation of Pakistan’s cement industry drops to lowest on record

    48 shares
    Share 19 Tweet 12
  • Inflation is down in Europe. But the European Central Bank is in no hurry to make more rate cuts

    48 shares
    Share 19 Tweet 12
American Dollar Exchange Rate
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Daily The Business
  • Privacy Policy
Write us: info@dailythebusiness.com

© 2021 Daily The Business

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Daily The Business
  • Privacy Policy

© 2021 Daily The Business

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.