• Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Daily The Business
  • Privacy Policy
Sunday, February 22, 2026
Daily The Business
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
DTB
No Result
View All Result
DTB

US military says Gaza Strip pier project is completed, aid to soon flow as Israel-Hamas war rages on

May 16, 2024
in Uncategorized
US military says Gaza Strip pier project is completed, aid to soon flow as Israel-Hamas war rages on
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsapp

WASHINGTON (news agencies) — The U.S. military finished installing a floating pier for the Gaza Strip on Thursday, with officials poised to begin ferrying badly needed humanitarian aid into the enclave besieged over seven months of intense fighting in the Israel-Hamas war.

The final, overnight construction sets up a complicated delivery process more than two months after U.S. President Joe Biden ordered it to help Palestinians facing starvation as food and other supplies fail to make it in as Israel recently seized the key Rafah border crossing in its push on that southern city on the Egyptian border.

Fraught with logistical, weather and security challenges, the maritime route is designed to bolster the amount of aid getting into the Gaza Strip, but it is not considered a substitute for far cheaper land-based deliveries that aid agencies say are much more sustainable. The boatloads of aid will be deposited at a port facility built by the Israelis just southwest of Gaza City and then distributed by aid groups.

Heavy fighting between Israeli troops and Palestinian militants on the outskirts of Rafah has displaced some 600,000 people, a quarter of Gaza’s population, U.N. officials say. Another 100,000 civilians have fled parts of northern Gaza now that the Israeli military has restarted combat operations there.

Pentagon officials said the fighting in Gaza wasn’t threatening the new shoreline aid distribution area, but they have made it clear that security conditions will be monitored closely and could prompt a shutdown of the maritime route, even just temporarily. Already, the site has been targeted by mortar fire during its construction and Hamas has threatened to target any foreign forces who “occupy” the Gaza Strip.

The “protection of U.S. forces participating is a top priority. And as such, in the last several weeks, the United States and Israel have developed an integrated security plan to protect all the personnel,” said Navy Vice Adm. Brad Cooper, a deputy commander at the U.S. military’s Central Command. “We are confident in the ability of this security arrangement to protect those involved.”

U.S. troops anchored the pier at 7:40 a.m. local time Thursday, the military’s Central Command said, stressing that none of its forces entered the Gaza Strip and would not during the pier’s operations.

“Trucks carrying humanitarian assistance are expected to begin moving ashore in the coming days,” the command said. “The United Nations will receive the aid and coordinate its distribution into Gaza.”

It wasn’t immediately clear which U.N. agency would be involved.

Israeli forces will be in charge of security on the shore, but there are also two U.S. Navy warships near the area in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, the USS Arleigh Burke and the USS Paul Ignatius. Both ships are destroyers equipped with a wide range of weapons and capabilities to protect American troops off shore and allies on the beach.

Aid agencies say they are running out of food in southern Gaza and fuel is dwindling, which will force hospitals to shut down critical operations and halt truck deliveries of aid. The U.N. and others have warned for weeks that an Israel assault on Rafah would cripple humanitarian operations and cause a disastrous surge in civilian casualties.

More than 1.4 million Palestinians — half of Gaza’s population — have been sheltering in Rafah, most after fleeing Israel’s offensives elsewhere.

The first cargo ship loaded with 475 pallets of food left Cyprus last week to rendezvous with a U.S. military ship, the Roy P. Benavidez, which is off the coast of Gaza. The pallets of aid on the MV Sagamore were moved onto the Benavidez. The Pentagon said moving the aid between ships was an effort to be ready so it could flow quickly once the pier and the causeway were installed.

The installation of the pier several miles (kilometers) off the coast and of the causeway, which is now anchored to the beach, was delayed for nearly two weeks because of bad weather. The sea conditions made it too dangerous for U.S. and Israeli troops to secure the causeway to the shore, U.S. officials said.

Military leaders have said the deliveries of aid will begin slowly to ensure the system works. They will start with about 90 truckloads of aid a day through the sea route, and that number will quickly grow to about 150 a day. But aid agencies say that isn’t enough to avert impending famine in Gaza and must be just one part of a broader Israeli effort to open land corridors.

Because land crossings could bring in all the needed aid if Israeli officials allowed, the U.S.-built pier-and-sea route “is a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist,” said Scott Paul, an associate director of the Oxfam humanitarian organization.

Tags: dubainewsdubainewstveveryonefollowers
Share15Tweet10Send
Previous Post

Lainey Wilson wins big at the 2024 Academy of Country Music Awards, including the top honor

Next Post

One Tech Tip: Protecting your car from the growing risk of keyless vehicle thefts

Related Posts

photo file
Entertainment

Govt to produce web series on Jinnah and Iqbal for 150th anniversaries

February 22, 2026
Mponeng Gold Mine in South Africa is World’s Deepest Gold Mine, Nearly 4 Km Below Earth’s Surface
Global

Mponeng Gold Mine in South Africa is World’s Deepest Gold Mine, Nearly 4 Km Below Earth’s Surface

February 22, 2026
Germany’s Merz hopes for relief after Trump tariff verdict but uncertainty lingers
World

Germany’s Merz hopes for relief after Trump tariff verdict but uncertainty lingers

February 22, 2026
France says EU has the tools to hit back at Trump over tariffs, FT reports
World

France says EU has the tools to hit back at Trump over tariffs, FT reports

February 22, 2026
Trump announces hike in US global tariff rate from 10% to 15%
World

Trump announces hike in US global tariff rate from 10% to 15%

February 21, 2026
Inaugural Board of Peace meeting comes under discussion during call between Dar, Azerbaijan foreign minister
Pakistan

Inaugural Board of Peace meeting comes under discussion during call between Dar, Azerbaijan foreign minister

February 21, 2026

Popular Post

  • FRSHAR Mail

    FRSHAR Mail set to redefine secure communication, data privacy

    127 shares
    Share 51 Tweet 32
  • How to avoid buyer’s remorse when raising venture capital

    33 shares
    Share 337 Tweet 211
  • Microsoft to pay off cloud industry group to end EU antitrust complaint

    55 shares
    Share 22 Tweet 14
  • Capacity utilisation of Pakistan’s cement industry drops to lowest on record

    49 shares
    Share 20 Tweet 12
  • Inflation is down in Europe. But the European Central Bank is in no hurry to make more rate cuts

    48 shares
    Share 19 Tweet 12
American Dollar Exchange Rate
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Daily The Business
  • Privacy Policy
Write us: info@dailythebusiness.com

© 2021 Daily The Business

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Daily The Business
  • Privacy Policy

© 2021 Daily The Business

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.